It is Raining Cats and Dogs
Hi Family!
So this past week has been a pretty crazy week for sure. We just get to Petersburg and try to get settled only to turn around and catch a flight to Juneau. Elder Peiper from the seventy was coming to Alaska to meet all the missionary's and to hold a fireside with each stake and wanted to meet each missionary in person. Well as you can imagine for Alaska this meant alot of traveling as it is a well spread out state, in our zone alone only 6 missionary's reside on the same piece of land. We are all spread out on the southeast part of Alaska so it was pretty fun to actually get to meet the missionary's from the zone as some of them I had never met before.
Elder Pieper taught us some amazing things that I will take with me for the rest of my life. The way he held both the fireside and our conference was by asking us questions and then spending time answering them. He gave some good insight about how to do personal study and how we can become better missionary's. If there is one thing I have learned being out here is that it truly never ends, you always are striving to be better and to learn. I love learning and being able to focus on the needs of our investigators. To be able to take questions they have and to challenge them to learn about it so they can in turn gain a testimony. I am thankful of the council we were able to receive and to know it was directed for this mission specifically.
By the time we came back to Petersburg we did not have much of our week left, but knew we needed to spend it doing as much as we possible could. I am learning alot about Petersburg each day and how small towns work that is for sure. The members here are so great they are always giving us referrals and really have a true desire for missionary work and to push the work forward in the branch. They asked us to talk on Sunday so we spent our studies preparing our talks, as we knew they had to be 20 min long.
Friday we were able to meet with a LA member named Lilly, we found her on the ward list and gave her a call. She was baptised over 4 or 5 years ago and did it for her previous husband. She is not sure she still wants to be Mormon yet she was willing to take the lessons and come to Woman's conference. I know part of it is probably being married to someone that is not LDS and does not care whether she is part of it or not. She is a great person and I am excited to start rekindling that fire in her and help her remember that covenant she made with her heavenly father.
Our talks on Sunday turned out okay and believe it or not we where able to fill the time. The evening we had dinner with the Lopez family who we had not eaten with. We decided to tract up the street first and while we where walking brother Lopez drives by and stops and says "You know people have been calling the police on you two as they think you are frauds." I totally thought he was lying and then when we got to dinner he goes on to say that it really happened. That someone called in and told them that two girls are walking around with a badge on from the Mormon church and they must be a fraud as they only have men. Pretty dang funny I thought, as you can see we are the first sister missionary's in Petersburg so people are not used to seeing us around.
Well the work is slow but steady we have alot of opportunities I am excited about. I think I am learning to be patient and to work hard for the things that need to happen. Anyhow I am loving it here and know this is where the lord wants me. I hope all is going well at home with you and that you are getting excited for conference coming up as I know I am.
I love you all!!!
Love,
Sister Booth
P.S. Michele I have alot of pics but all the computers I have been on I cannot upload from. Pretty sad so trying to figure that out, anyhow I will send the ones from the last emails soon.
Comments